Where is Westpointe Neighborhood in Salt Lake City?
Salt Lake City’s Wespointe Neighborhood is a peaceful, family-oriented community with easy access to Salt Lake’s commercial core.
The designated neighborhood covers a lot of ground including the Salt Lake City International Airport, and Salt Lake International Center. For such a vast property, it is sparsley populated by about 35,000 residents. They live in residential communities that are the exception rather than the rule in Westpointe. The neighborhood covers 37.76 square miles.
Westpointe is in the northwest portion of Salt Lake City (on its north and west borders). Redwood Road is the boundary on the east. 700 North is Westpointe’s southern boundary.
Salt Lake’s Jordan Meadows borders Wespointe on the south. Rose Park borders the community on the east. While Fairpark does not actually meet Westpointe’s border, it comes very close on the southeast corner.
Is Wespointe, Utah a City?
Wespointe is not an incorporated city. It it is a neighborhood within Salt Lake City (and it has a personality all its own). Westpointe is part of Salt Lake City’s District 1. The Westpointe Community Council is an organized group of volunteers who look out for the interests of the neighborhood. They are elected officials who meet regularly to address issues such as safety, planning, fundraising, project identification, and more. They host and co-host events throughout the year such as the annual Night Out Community Festival.
15 great things about Westpointe
Escalante Elementary is within Westpointe’s borders and in the New Rose Park area. Westpointe boasts excellent schools, ensuring that children have access to top-notch education to help them succeed.
- Scenic mountain views: Westpointe offers breathtaking views of the nearby mountains.
- Safety first: This neighborhood is known for its safety, providing a secure environment for residents to live worry-free.
- Quality education: Westpointe boasts excellent schools, ensuring that children have access to top-notch education to help them succeed in the future.
- Parks galore: Residents have access to a variety of parks and outdoor spaces, perfect for picnics, sports, and leisurely walks, making it a great place for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Convenient shopping and dining: You’ll find a wide range of shops and restaurants nearby, making it easy to find everything you need without traveling far.
- Family-oriented community: Westpointe is known for its family-friendly atmosphere, with numerous activities and resources designed to keep families engaged and entertained.
- Easy commuting: With good access to highways, getting to work or other parts of the city is hassle-free, saving you time and stress.
- Clean and well-maintained: The neighborhood takes pride in its cleanliness and well-kept streets, creating a pleasant and inviting environment.
- Vibrant community events: From local festivals to community gatherings, Westpointe hosts a variety of enjoyable events that bring neighbors together.
- Serene living: Westpointe offers a peaceful and tranquil setting, perfect for those seeking a calm and relaxed lifestyle.
- Natural features: Westpointe primarily features suburban homes and streets with a focus on residential living. The landscape is characterized by rolling hills, open spaces, and well-maintained lawns, which contribute to its serene and family-friendly environment.
- Nearby recreational opportunities: While there might not be large lakes or rivers within Westpointe itself, it is located in close proximity to the beautiful Wasatch Mountains. These mountains offer various outdoor recreational opportunities, including hiking, biking, and skiing during the winter months. Nearby canyons like Big Cottonwood Canyon and Little Cottonwood Canyon are popular destinations for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Local parks: Westpointe and the surrounding areas have several well-kept parks and green spaces. These parks may feature small ponds, streams, or decorative water features for residents to enjoy. While not large bodies of water, they can still provide a serene and picturesque backdrop for leisurely strolls and picnics.
- Neighborhood amenities: Westpointe is a well-established neighborhood with access to amenities such as grocery stores, schools, and community centers. These facilities contribute to the overall quality of life for its residents.
- Accessibility: The neighborhood offers easy access to major roadways, including Interstate 215 and Interstate 80, making it convenient for residents to commute to work or explore other parts of Salt Lake City.
Westpointe Park rules!
Westpointe Park is a popular family gathering space. It’s located at 1920 Colonel Rd, Salt Lake City, UT 84116
The sprawling Westpointe Park is a community’s dream. It’s clean and green. The park is rarely crowded and it seems meticulously maintained. The park features a playground, a public restroom (with a drinking fountain outside), and four sports fields including two soccer fields, one baseball field, and one softball field. There’s a full basketball court, a sand volleyball court, two tennis quarts, and a beautiful jogging/walking path. There’s even a very nice pavilion with capacity for 100 people. It features limited power with four power outlets.
Neighborhood enjoys Workforce Training, Education
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) hosts the Westpointe Workforce Training & Education Center (WWTEC), a campus built for hands-on learning.
The building’s design was key. It called for high quality and great flexibility. In stepped design experts SRG Partnership. The company’s official website boasts, “Our collaborative and inclusive design process brings together outside‑the‑box thinkers who lead with ideas. In embracing many perspectives, we foster healthy discussions that tackle some of the greatest challenges facing the built environment today. Together, we seek to build great places that are inspiring and meaningful to the communities we partner with.”
The WWTEC is west of I-215. That was no accident. Project managers wanted it to be visible. The east side of the building display is designed to catch the fleeting attention of drivers by and in an instant, impress the vastness of WWTEC’s programs and the quality college environment there. The building was completed in 2018 at 121,000 square feet. It was more than 600 feet long.
Salt Lake Community College’s Westpointe Workforce Training & Education Center is adaptable by design. An article published online by Education Snapshot titled Salt Lake Community College – Westpointe Workforce Training & Education Center says, “The facility brings together technical education in advanced manufacturing trades active in the Salt Lake Valley, including Composites, Plastics, Machining, Welding, Electronics, Diesel Technology, and CDL Truck Driving. Collaborative lab, classroom and shop spaces based on real-world working environments help ensure students are well-equipped to enter Utah’s growing STEM-based industries.” STEM is an acronym for science, technology, engineering, and math.
What kind of homes are in Westpointe?
The residential area of Wespointe is small, but it features a colorful culture and a diverse population. Here you will find mostly apartment complexes and single-family homes. Because the residential neighborhoods are outside Salt Lake City’s downtown core, Wespointe home prices tend to be lower than they are closer to the city. This area of Salt Lake City was primarily used for farming. Many of the homes there were built in the 1970s and 1980s; that’s fairly recent considering the first white settlers entered the Salt Lake Valley in the mid-1880s. In 1970 the population was about 7,000. In 2010, the population doubled. “Development of new homes brought more people into the neighborhood and today it is still known as one of the most affordable areas to live in Salt Lake City,” according to an article published by Story Maps online. The article, Westpointe Neighborhood, was published on Nov. 23, 2021, was written by Cody Opperman & Carrie Marsh.
What styles are the homes in Westpointe?
- Historic homes: Salt Lake City has some beautiful historic neighborhoods with homes built in various styles, including Victorian, Colonial Revival, Craftsman, and Tudor. You might find some historic homes in the Wespointe area but they are likely to be few and far between.
- Mid-century modern: Some neighborhoods feature mid-century modern homes characterized by clean lines, large windows, and open floor plans.
- Ranch: Ranch-style homes are common in many suburban areas, known for their single-story designs and spacious yards.
- Contemporary: In more recent developments, you may find contemporary and modern architectural styles, which often incorporate clean lines, innovative materials, and energy-efficient features.
- Traditional: Traditional homes with elements like gabled roofs, brick or stone facades, and symmetrical designs can also be found throughout the city.
Salt Lake City neighborhood surrounded by local treasures
The west side of Salt Lake City is growing rapidly. So far, it has maintained a family-friendly suburban atmosphere that even seems a little rural. Following are just a few of the nearby attractions frequented by locals who are living active lives:
Jordan River and its associated trail encourage healthy lifestyles
The Jordan River is like a natural pathway in Utah, where a slow-moving river flows. It has a trail next to it, which is like a walking and biking path for people to enjoy nature. You can see birds, plants, and sometimes even fish while taking a stroll on the trail.
Jordan River Off-Highway Vehicle Park is a big playground for OHVs
The Jordan River Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Park is a big playground for dirt bikes and off-road vehicles. It’s in Utah, and kids (and adults too) can ride their dirt bikes, ATVs, and dune buggies on special trails. There are hills, bumps, and dirt tracks to have lots of fun, like a big adventure park for motorized toys. Just remember to wear your helmet and follow the rules for safe and exciting riding!
Salt Lake Regional Athletic Complex hosts hundreds of players annually
The Salt Lake Regional Athletic Complex is like a super-sized playground for sports in Utah. It’s where kids, adults, and teams gather for soccer, baseball, and more. Imagine massive green fields with goals and bleachers, making it perfect for games and cheering. It’s where the excitement of sports comes to life, and where you can practice your favorite sports, run around, and enjoy the thrill of the game with friends and teammates. Whether you’re playing, watching, or just having a great time outdoors, this athletic complex is the place to be for sports and fun!
Conservation land surrounding the Great Salt Lake
The conservation land around the Great Salt Lake is like a protective shield for this unique natural wonder in Utah. It’s a special area where nature is preserved. This land is essential because it safeguards the lake’s delicate ecosystem and the many birds and animals that call it home. People work hard to keep it clean and safe. By doing this, they help to make sure the lake’s water stays pure, the wetlands thrive, and the wildlife has a safe place to live. So, this conservation land is like a superhero, ensuring the Great Salt Lake stays beautiful and full of life!
Rose Park Golf Course
The Rose Park Golf Course is an outdoor adventure for golf enthusiasts in Salt Lake City. This course has 18 holes with challenges like bunkers, water hazards, and greens. It’s open to everyone, whether you’re a beginner or an experienced golfer. The best part? You get to enjoy the fresh air, practice your swing, and maybe even spot some birds while having a great time with friends or family. It’s a perfect spot to learn or improve your golf skills and have fun outdoors.
Rose Park Skate Park
Rose Park Skate Park in Salt Lake City, Utah, is an exciting place for people of all ages to enjoy the world of skateboarding, rollerblading, and BMX riding. With its smooth concrete terrain, ramps, rails, and other cool features, it’s the perfect playground for both beginners and experienced riders. You can practice tricks, cruise around, and have a great time with friends and family. It’s not just a skate park; it’s a vibrant community hub where people gather to share their love for wheeled adventures. If you’re looking for a fun and welcoming spot to show off your skills, Rose Park Skate Park is the place to be!
Utah State Fairpark
The Utah State Fairpark, home to the renowned Utah State Fair, is a bustling center of excitement and entertainment in Salt Lake City. This expansive venue is where you can immerse yourself in the thrilling rides, savor delectable fair food, and test your skills at captivating games. The Utah State Fair begins the Thursday after Labor Day annually and attracts more than 300,000 visitors each season. There is a neighborhood named Fairpark and the fairgrounds are within it.
Beyond the fair’s attractions, the Fairpark also hosts captivating shows, educational exhibits, and opportunities to connect with local culture. Whether you’re seeking the thrill of the Utah State Fair’s festivities, the sweetness of cotton candy, or a cultural exploration, the Utah State Fairpark promises a memorable experience for friends and family.
Salt Lake City is a mecca of fine arts, education, diverse culture, live entertainment, fine dining, outdoor recreation and more. If you lived in Westpointe, Salt Lake City, Utah you could be in the heart of it all right now.